Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Mixtape Top 5 of 07


Last week, everyone had been asking which one I like more... The new Gunit mixtape, or the new Clipse/Re-up mixtape...

To tell the truth, I haven't been banging either one since my first listen to both tapes... I feel neither tapes had tracks that stood out to me... (Other than "Feels Good" of the Unit and "Cheers" from Clipse) Most of my favorite artists were mixtape MVPs and I love and value the mixtape greatly... I love the freedom it gives an artist and the microscope it lays on an artist to display some of his true style and lyricism away from that mainstream appeal... but mixtape artists need to stop just laying verses down on sub par beats or used instrumentals for an entire tape and think that's a hot mixtape...

To me, a good mixtape should be real hot songs that didn't match the mood of the album, or atleast some hot hooks and song concepts to keep me listening and running to my potnas to tell them what my favorite artist has outdone thereself on this time... And that's exactly what some of my favorite mixtape MVPs did... Lupe, Chamillionaire, Kanye, Lil Wayne, Young Jeezy... but to answer the question, I like the Gunit tape a little more...

Now this year I didn't get a chance to really listen to mixtapes because Djs were getting extremly lazy in ethier only posting Lil Wayne tracks or a horrible mix of close affiliates and whoever pays the Dj first tracks... it was a bad year for mixtape Djs, yall need to understand that yall control what's going on in the streets, step up and be a real dj, a trendsetter, not a follower... AMG doing they thing tho... Shouts out to Cannon and Drama... and all of the Affiliates...

-5 Good mixtapes I heard... in 2007

- C 3/Beatking - Mercy/Oblivion - It had the great consistant feel of an album.

- Chamillionaire - Mixtape Messiah 3 - it was a little closer to the old chamillionaire I love, mixed with his new pop style, yet it was still intelligent to the listeners... go head and get that international money.

- 2 Different - Da New Breed/Winning Losers - Not only are they my artists, the music is really hot... they are doing something different as Houston artists... new mixtape coming soon, check out www.myspace.com/rappers2different

- Lil Wayne - Drought 3/The Leak - Im a wayne head for almost no reason... he is very consistant with his style of rap and continues to set the bar for others... and also, even tho he is a vet rapper, you can still see him trying to outdo himself on all of his own tracks... hes the hottest in the game for a reason right now...

- Any Jeezy tape - hes not a rapper, hes a trapper, and still makes better music than these so called "rappers" he makes hits, these other niggas just waste time...

Holla back on what you think...

-Ghost Da Hustla

0 comments: